New Year, New Me (Without a Husband/Wife)
Why January is the most popular month for divorces
The start of a new year could mean the start of a completely new life. That is because January is the most likely time for couples to separate or file for divorce.
This time of the year is so busy with separations and the breakdowns of marriages that they have established a whole day to attempt to define the magnitude of it namely, Divorce Day.
January 6 this year was labelled ‘Divorce Day’ the first work week of the year sees the highest level of divorce enquiries both with law firms and Google searches.
As most people sitting at work reading this are aware, we are currently in the first week of the work year so this is the most likely time of the year for marriage break-downs and separation enquiries. For Family Law firms and divorce lawyers this means lots and lots of new clients.
There are a number of reasons this week is particularly popular, the following reasons have been noted by divorce coaches and family lawyers:
- One partner was merely ‘tolerating’ their partner before this date and it was finally time to call it quits.
- A couple may be holding onto a marriage, attempting to stick through their troubles until the end of the holidays and then finally call it quits.
- If children are involved, they have had one final holiday season as a family and may not feel guilty to break up from January onward.
- The holidays for many people means, lots of time with family. This amount of time with family can bring out irritating flaws, exposing issues in marriages, annoyances and also lots of stress.
- The holiday time may not reach the couples high expectations.
- January blues: the New Year has many people contemplating their choices for career, life and more. This could nudge those who are unhappily married into making a decision on a divorce.
The Family Law system can be complex, gruelling and tiresome and it is important to understand that it doesn’t have to be, and there are ways to get through it.
January can be a time to reflect or otherwise, act to start the year afresh.
Our team here at Vizzone Ruggero Twigg Lawyers specialise in Family Law matters. Our partners Lisa Ruggero Salerno and Daniella Ruggero both Accredited Family Law Specialists as well as Tracey Hayman, Solicitor can help you during this time of year.
To make an appointment for either our City or Mascot offices, call 9264 7244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.