• Daniella Ruggero

Can You Leave Your House For Shared Parenting/ Family Law Arrangements?

Updated: Jan 27, 2021

As with most sectors of society, the current Covid-19 crisis presents significant challenges for those that are subject to family law arrangements whether it be due to formal Court Orders or informal shared parenting arrangements.

On 30 March 2020 the New South Wales Government added to the stress of many people that have such arrangements by announcing that it is an offence to leave your place of residence without a reasonable excuse.

Vizzone Ruggero Twigg Lawyers Family Law Accredited Specialist Daniella Ruggero however, explains that the law contains an exception for those people who are leaving the house to comply with Family Court Orders or informal parenting plans.

The Schedule to the Orders provide a list of ‘Reasonable Excuses’ for leaving your place of residence. One of the reasonable excuses include to continue existing arrangements for access or contact between parents, which clearly allows for the continuations of Family Court Orders or informal arrangements between parties,” said Daniella Ruggero.

“For those with formal Family Court Orders, they are reasonably excused under rule 11 allowing for those to leave their premises to undertake any legal obligation,” Daniella Ruggero, Family Law Accredited Specialist

As many may have seen on various news programs, some people are being questioned by Police as to whether they have a reasonable excuse for leaving their place of residence.

It is for this reason, that we recommend that you take a copy of your Family Court Orders with you if you are in the process of complying with such Orders,” advised Daniella Ruggero.

The full reasonable excuse rule 13 is posted below for your information.

Daniella Ruggero is an Accredited Family Law Specialist at Vizzone Ruggero Twigg Lawyers and practices at both our Sydney CBD and Mascot Offices. She has advised on matters in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria and is available for both legal representation and expert opinion for media outlets. Any queries should be directed to (02) 9667 1271 or law@vrtlawyers.com.au

Due to the heightened Police presence in the execution of the new laws, our Criminal Law Partner, John Vizzone is working with our Family Law Team to assist clients in emergency situations in the event that they have any issues with Police in the performance of such obligations. You can call John Vizzone outside office hours on 0416167690 should you need urgent advice with dealing with the Police.

  1. RULE 13: for children who do not live in the same household as their parents or siblings or one of their parents of siblings – continuing existing arrangements for access to, and contact between parents and children or siblings.

Daniella Ruggero, Accredited Family Law Specialist

#parenting #familylawyers #FamilyLaw #coronavirus #legaladvice #Familylawspecialist #covid19

56 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All